When your feeding a crowd in the great outdoors, hearty, filling fare is the order of the day and this casserole offers exactly that
meat stewing in kettle on campfire outside
For the casserole:
- 750g stewing beef cut into chunks
- 3 onions, diced
- 5 carrots, cubed
- 5 parsnips, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 beef stock cubes
- 2 bouquet garni
- Water to cover
1. Briefly brown the beef in a little oil or butter. Add the onions and garlic and sweat until translucent.
2. Crumble the stock cubes over the beef and onions, add the water, stir and mix in the vegetables. Pop in the bouquet garni and hang over flames.
3. Simmer for at least two hours – the longer the better.
For the dumplings:
- 1 handful suet
- 2 handfuls plain flour
- Good pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Water to mix
1. Combine the dry ingredients with enough water to make a wet dough – it should be claggy in texture.
2. Using your fingertips, pinch golf ball-sized pieces of dough and drop them into the simmering casserole for 20 minutes.
Taken from our Outdoor Cooking issue
Recipe by Emma Armstrong